Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The person in the mirror


“Mirror,mirror on the wall…Who is the fairest of them all  ?“
If the stephmother had more confirmation in her childhood, she wouldn’t need to ask this question… Who do you see when you look in the mirror ? Any idea why you see yourself in a different way than other people do ?

Looks are easy to judge. Simply because there are enough people to compare yourself to or be compared with. Ain’t it out in the world than there’s enough attention for looks and beauty on TV. We’re sort or less raised in how we should look or appear. Straight white teeth, wrinkle free and slim is the way because being fat is ugly and a danger to your health. I have nothing against a healthy lifestyle but I think it’s too bad it seems to be only about looks and not the total package… You know, inner beauty included.

How we feel and think about ourselves is mostly decided by confirmation in a positive way or by rejection of other people (partners, parents, friends, strangers etcetera). I believe the power of confirmation is highly underestimated. People in general have a tendency to that one negative comment than the other positive ones. Positive confirmation means more confidence and negative confirmation means a low self-esteem and challenges people to prove the opposite or accepting you have to do with less, right ? What it comes down to is that most people will let other people decide how to feel about themselves. Not only will it influence our self-esteem but by learning to compare yourself we also learn to judge. How would the world look like if we create our own self-image ?

I don’t have the most beautiful set of teeth, my hair is too thick and dry and I can’t even grow a beard at age 34. Ow, I don’t have a beer belly but I can’t say I have a six-pack either. I think I have to depend on my charisma because if I would be dead sexy I would have more women chasing after me…How did I get this picture about myself ? To who do I measure myself ? May I assume everybody has these kind of things on their list about themselves ? Do you automatically polish your inner beauty more if you don’t have the looks shown by the media ? Because I do dare to say and state with conviction that I’m a beautiful person who has worked hard to become and stay beautiful from within. I believe we would only need one confirmation in life and base our whole self-esteem and confidence on:
“There’s nothing wrong with you, you’re perfect the way you are and don’t let anybody tell you otherwise !”

Self reflection is a valuable tool. Let me offer an advise… Write down everything you’re not satisfied with about yourself and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ! Excuse me for the capslock. But if you want to change things or certain aspects within your life it won’t happen by itself. And doing nothing is also ok, but then you need to truly accept who you are…I’m well aware that’s easier said than done. As long as you walk your own path where you decide what’s good for you. Every negative about yourself is due to opinions from others. I think that if you would value yourself more your self-image will be more positive and outer beauty will be more based on charisma. And personally I think that’s worth more looking at and admiring than what the beauty fashion magazines, ads or any other form of media wants us to believe in and compare ourselves with…

No comments:

Post a Comment